Sharing Parents!


“You are not taking me to the shop because you don’t love me at all, sometimes I feel like I’m not your daughter” I said to my mom. “Think whatever you want, I don’t care”, she replied.
I knew she doesn’t love me. She had proved it to me so many times that I couldn’t even think of any other opinion. I wanted to stay with her all the time, and keep talking to her but she was getting bored of me. Everyone gets bored with the passage of time. There was a time when she used to love me. I still remember she used to care a lot about me. We used to hang out for hours. I remember playing hide and seek with her. She used to cook my favorite dishes. And . And. .
May be she is busy these days, I tried to give explanations to my heart but that was of no use. My heart knew very well she doesn’t care about me anymore. And I knew the reason too. I told you she was bored. She had diverted her attention towards her newly born daughter. She loves her now. She doesn’t need me anymore. And I think I wasn’t her daughter. I seriously think I was adopted from somewhere and now when she has her own daughter, she doesn’t like me to be around.
This is not the story of just one child. Many children, especially the first born feels like this when they see someone else sharing their parents. Children are very possessive about their parents. They cannot share their love and attention and it is very difficult for them to accept the fact that someone else has same rights towards their parents as they have. They become aggressive and stubborn on the arrival of siblings. Sometimes the people around them that their parents adopted them from some poor beggar and the innocent minds accept it.
The question is how to deal with such a situation? The answer to such a question is difficult in words. It requires a serious attention. One needs to talk about things like love, parents, children, sharing etc with their kids. People avoid talking to their children about serious issues considering them to be too young to understand. The question isn’t that they understand or not. The importance is of the effect this discussion has on their sub conscious. That makes them feel mature and bigger and that they are capable of understanding things. Secondly instead of creating a competition environment, try to make them realize that they are same and equal for parents. This will help making them realize that siblings are friends not enemies. A healthy and constructive mind is very important for them to have a balanced personality. Childhood memories and experiences have a long lasting effect on a person’s life so try to give them a pleasant, positive and healthy childhood.

If you'd like to be friends

I love coffee. If you like me, consider buying me a cup of coffee.

My help is available at my website academiccoaching.ml to students applying for education abroad, academic coaching, graduate study applications, legal documents, and visa process.