We can survive without sleep!


Many of you would probably be astonished by the title. I mean what on earth can be more beautiful than sleeping? Or more precisely, what on earth do we have to do if we are not supposed to sleep? I remember my morning alarm has always been one of my most hated inventions of science throughout my school years. Although “early to bed” was never what I could ever force myself to like but “early to rise” was even worst. (That was something I couldn't like even if that really makes me “healthy, wealthy and wise”.) Then the question is then what changed my mind and made me believe that I won’t die if I don’t sleep?
I had a visit to Youth Development Centre, Murree in January 2011. The funny thing is out of 85 hours of my stay there; I slept only for 11 or at most 12 hours and if I’m writing this story today, that certainly implies I survived. So the story is, we were divided into four groups there and were given some challenging tasks to do right after some extra long conference. We were kept awake for hours and when fully exhausted, we were asked to give presentations. We used to go for a walk from Punjab House Murree to the opposite end of Mall road twice a day. You know Murree is a hill station and I don’t know about others but I have a good stamina of walking on smooth straight road for about an hour but in a place like Murree I had to sit down after every 10 minutes and wait for my heart to stop jumping out of my body. So we went through the “privileged trips” and I’m telling you I survived.
I met a person named Syed Hussain Haider there. He is a person who didn't have enough money for his graduation and he is a person who spoke to the United Nations. He is a person who received autobiography of Dr. Mahathir Muhammad from Mahathir himself (the one he used to present to heads of states and his friends only). He told us he was suffering from Typhoid and Malaria and his boss made him stay in office for three days and gave him loads of files to work with them. He didn’t sleep at all to complete the job and he told us he survived. Now he is a person who gives 3 hours to sleep out of good 24 hours of a day. He says life is short and he has so much to do. I remember the night before our presentations we rushed out of the conference room at 2:30am and he told us he will be available till 4:00am for us if we needed any help regarding presentations. I went to him with another group member to ask a few questions about presentations. We hoped we will be free in ten minutes; we came back to our room at 4:30am. He is a man having very versatile experience of life; we actually felt we don’t have enough time. Life is short and we have a lot to learn. We have a lot to explore. I found out I will survive if I don’t sleep that night but I’m not going to have a chance to listen to that person again.
We never know how strong we are unless we encounter a calamity. We think we can’t do it. We don’t accept challenges. We consider ourselves weak so we tend to become actually weak. We don’t find ourselves capable enough to see the beauty of first ray of sunlight and praise it so we keep sleeping in the morning. We don’t feel like taking the pledge so we stay mediocre always. We don’t have the courage to face reality so we go for drugs. We actually take refuge in half death when we can’t enjoy the beauty of life. Challenge yourself to find out how strong you are. And I’m telling you, you will survive with less amount of sleep. You will survive in fewer facilities. You can survive without anything. I’m not sure about Oxygen but don’t worry I’m on it and I’ll let you know if I survived without Oxygen.

If you'd like to be friends

I love coffee. If you like me, consider buying me a cup of coffee.

My help is available at my website academiccoaching.ml to students applying for education abroad, academic coaching, graduate study applications, legal documents, and visa process.