Last chance to try?


“I’m afraid” I said.
“Come on its nothing. See all of them are enjoying it. I love skating”. She was still standing in front of me, with no intentions to move an inch from here without taking me.
“Listen Rafia, these shoes . .”
“Call me Foo. I don’t like that name”. She did not let me complete my sentence.
“Ok listen Foo. I can’t . .”
“Did you just call me Fool?“ She asked, looking into my eyes.
“No no I didn . .”
“You better not”. She looked satisfied. “And never say I can’t in front of me. I hate this word. One can do anything if one wants to. At least I can do” she said with an element of pride in her tone. She was three years younger to me. I smiled at her innocence and replied in her tone, “oh really? Can you jump from the top floor of our house?”
“If I want to”. I smiled at her confidence.
“ok then I don’t want to . .” I tried to say but could not complete.
“You bought skating shoes, came here because you don’t want to try skating. Oh yea! Thank you for the information”. Now she was laughing sarcastically.
“Fine! I’m afraid. I told you already I can’t do it”
“Come on Fifi give me five minutes and I will take away your fear
“My name is Furqan and I’m elder than you” I did not like her calling me Fifi.
“Ok Fifi uncle now please no more arguments” And then she gripped my hand and started moving.
That day I learnt that just the first step is difficult. Once you close your eyes and take that first step, your fear is gone. I was enjoying skating with her and I did not fall down even for once. And then she gave me a sudden push and made me strike the wall and fall down and said “Fifi you will not be afraid of this trivial thing anymore”. I realized that fear of falling was worse than actually falling. The same happens to us throughout our lives. We indulge ourselves in pointless fears. We stay unconscious of our nerve unless they are tested. And when our worst and biggest fears turn into reality, they prove to be of far lesser gravity and effect than they seemed to be.
It was a great lesson for me. Its helps me whenever I’m afraid of losing, afraid of falling, afraid of being hurt, afraid of loving and being loved, afraid of expectations, afraid of taking chances in life. Life laughs at those who keep staring at the water, but it helps those who jump into the river and challenge its strength. You will be afraid of it if you don’t give it a try. As soon as you take the first step, your fear is gone. Excitement is about “do or die”. Life is about taking chances. You are wasting yourself if you are not taking the first step just because you are afraid of failure. Remember it’s a bigger failure that you lost every chance of trying. Think about it.

If you'd like to be friends

I love coffee. If you like me, consider buying me a cup of coffee.

My help is available at my website academiccoaching.ml to students applying for education abroad, academic coaching, graduate study applications, legal documents, and visa process.